Labradors are the most popular breed in the US due to their friendly and caring personality but there is one thing that they are not known for and it’s being aggressive.
So we can find ourselves wondering can that peaceful pup fight or even defend himself if they were ever in a fight with other dogs.
Well, I had the same question and finally decided to research it, and here is everything that you need to know.
So, can a Labrador fight? No, Labradors can’t fight, they have a high flight drive so if there is anything off, they will be the first to know and the first to run as well, however, that’s a good thing because that makes them the perfect family dogs and you can trust them around other pets.
If you want how labs usually handle threats then just keep on reading.
Table of Contents
Can a Labrador Fight?
Labradors were bred to retrieve so they don’t have the instincts to fight like other dogs, they may bite to defend themselves besides barking but that’s the best they can do.
They also have a low guard drive so they are not really protective, however, you can train them to at least defend themselves properly.
How Labradors usually handle threats
Labradors usually handle threats by running which is not a great idea because they may run off and get lost or run in a street full of cars so they can end up hurt in that case too.
So it’s better to train them to freeze or at least train them how to defend themselves against threats.
Can a Labrador Fight intruders?
No, Labradors can’t fight intruders but they can be aggressive towards intruders because their protective instincts are going to kick in, also, they can be a little scared at first but that fear will turn into aggression as well and will have the urge to defend themselves and their owners.
You can learn more about how labs react to intruders here.
Can a Labrador fight other dogs?
Yes, Labradors can fight other dogs but it’s unlikely for them to attack the other dog first, they can defend themselves when the dog attacks so the Lab can bite or scratch them but they may also run away from the fight unless they are defending their family because they’ll protect them with their life.
How to train your labrador to protect (and fight)
In order to train your Labrador to protect, they have to master the basic commands.
Also, the sooner you start that training the better the results are going to be.
- Step one: bring a friend or two to help you out.
- Step two: use positive reinforcement.
- Step three: it’s recommended if your Lab doesn’t know the friend who is helping you.
- Step four: ask your friend to knock on the door and when your Lab barks to alarm you, reward them with their favorite treat.
- Step five: whenever a stranger approaches the door, encourage your Lab to go over, and when they do reward them.
- Step six: during the training time whenever your Lab does something protective, make sure to reward and praise them.
- Step seven: it’s time for their walk, put your Labrador on a leash, and walk them around the house to make them feel like it’s their territory.
- Step eight: make sure to walk them every morning.
- Step nine: Start noticing what triggers your Lab to bark then use these situations to train them to bark on your command.
- Step ten: use the situation to command your dog to bark while using a playful tone (to make them think that it’s a game)
- Step eleven: when your Lab barks on your command, reward them.
- Final step: keep repeating till your Lab starts to do it by themselves.
Do Labs ever attack?
No, Labs never attack but they can if their loved ones are in danger then they will fight for them fiercely and without hesitation.
However, Labs can attack under some circumstances such as if their previous owner mistreated them so they had to be aggressive, they may snap if they are in pain, or if they are suffering from anxiety or depression.
Will a Labrador attack its owner?
No, Labradors can never attack their owner because it’s not in their nature, they are a friendly breed who are not good at being guard dogs so don’t expect them to be aggressive but if they ever became a little aggressive then it’s better to take them to the vet. You can learn more about labradors’ aggression here.
If you liked this article and found it useful, you can share it with your friends and family, and if you have any questions then please do not hesitate to contact us.
Can a Labrador be aggressive?
Yes, Labradors can be aggressive but it’s not that common because Labradors are known for their friendly, sweet, and laid-back personalities, however, they can be aggressive for some reasons such as being in pain, trauma, lack of socialization, fear, or suffering from anxiety.
Which is stronger; a Labrador or a German Shepherd?
The German shepherd is stronger than the Labrador retriever because Labs are more friendly than aggressive, they are really energetic and can be really protective but the german shepherds can be very aggressive with other dogs, it also depends on their backgrounds and history.
Can Labradors Defend themselves?
Yes, Labradors can defend themselves, they can be quiet at first when in danger then they’re going to bark for a while, and if they get attacked, they are more likely to snap and start biting, however, Labs are not the best at defending themselves so it’s better to train them some defensive techniques.
Labrador Retrievers for Dummies by Joel Walton, Eve Adamson (which you can also check on Amazon here)
Living with a Retriever: Recommendations and Sources
- Want the best diet for your dog? Check out the best and healthiest foods for golden retrievers at every age here – Dry, Wet, Homemade Recipes, and Treats!
- Looking for new toys? These toys will prove to be fun, engaging, and will stand their heavy chewing.
- Make them look GLAMOROUS with the best shampoos and conditioners and the best brushes here.
- Taking a walk? These are the best leashes, collars, and harnesses for the buck that you can find.
- Find my list of recommendations here.
If you liked the article, you can share it using the share and pin buttons at the end of the post. I’ll really appreciate it ♥️♥️